Tue01162018

Last updateMon, 07 Jul 2014 9am

Back You are here: Home Editorial Letter to the Editor

THE disturbing disquiet from the North over the eligibility of President Goodluck Jonathan to contest the 2015 presidential election is speedily tearing the People's Democratic Party (PDP) apart and gradually generating tendencies capable of destabilizing the country's developing democracy as well as the efforts towards nation building. Northern leaders, particularly, Alhaji Mu'azu Babangida Aliyu, Governor of Niger State, and the leadership of the Arewa Consultative Forum (ACF) have seemingly been mobilizing forces to disqualify Jonathan from the 2015 presidential poll on the basis of a purported agreement allegedly entered into with a small group of Nigerians with vested interests, a group of persons representing sectional and particularistic interests, which are erroneously equated with the provisions of the 1999 Constitution.  

I am not interested in the politics of South Africa unless it affects Nigeria's interest as the recent election of Mr. Cyril Ramaphosa as Deputy President of South Africa's ruling ANC. Ramaphosa unarguably one of the richest men in Africa sometime in November strengthened his interest in the Nigerian economy through a $335 million stake in MTN Nigeria. This should have been an ordinary acquisition if not that he is also the Chairman of MTN Group. And that deal reduced the ownership of MTN by Nigerians from 21.1 per cent to 18 per cent, leaving South Africans with 82 per cent ownership of a subsidiary that brings in 30 per cent of total earnings of the entire MTN Group and accounts for $10 billion of the $36 billion company.

Social Menu

Wrapper